Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lions, Tigers and... Starvation Mode?

Well, I was recently asked about my eating habits. Truth be told, I at most only eat around 1300-1500 calories a day, and often enough I don't even make it there. At first, the reason for my eating this way was to severely restrict the amount and type of foods I was eating. I'm an impulsive, binge eater. Just to be honest with everyone, my capacity for eating is almost limitless. Before I started dieting and exercising (which I like to think of as more a lifestyle change nowadays) I was eating about 8,000-10,000 calories a day, easily. Probably two or more trips to a fast food restaurant, a two liter or more of Mountain Dew, large bag of chips, couple of candy bars, and then I would usually make myself some kind of gigantic dinner. I'm the guy that can eat two large pizzas without a second thought. I can eat two boxes of spaghetti with sauce and meat, or whatever else I could find to throw on. And I could do that after a whole day of eating. My "dinner meal" at McDonald's was 5 double cheeseburgers, 2 large fries, 2 ten piece chicken nuggets, and a large sprite. That's 4870 calories, for one meal. I'm not kidding folks, it's a miracle I only weighed 240 pounds when this started... my body is a very efficient machine, my metabolism is better than most. But the reason I restrict myself is because I don't have full control over my problem, and I fear for the worst.

So I was asked by both people on this blog and people I live with, are you trying to starve yourself? Aren't you afraid of starvation mode? Yeah, I'm afraid of it, especially since I work out 3 times a week and run the rest of the time. But, here are my conclusions about starvation, based on the research I have done myself, and taken from the benefit of others.


First of all, starvation mode is not a proven science... there is no absolute, direct correlation to the idea that eating 500 calories a day will make your body "completely shut down." Here is a commonly understood example based on the idea of starvation mode. If someone whose BMR is 2000 calories a day cuts 500 calories out of their diet, it will result in gradual 1-2 pound weight loss, but their metabolism will also slow down. The difference is, you aren't going to notice a 3-5% reduction in metabolism because its such a small number, only a difference of maybe 50-70 calories a day.

A comment made on a thread I was reading says it best:

"Simply put, if, under normal circumstances, your body needs 2000 calories a day, and you consume 1500, you will lose weight, due to the deficit of 500 calories. If you consume 500 calories, initially you may lose weight at three times the rate (1500 calories' deficit), but if keep this up for a while, you will not lose weight at the same rate, because your metabolism will go down (you'll need less than 2000). This is what "starvation mode" means. It does not mean you will stop losing weight with such a low intake. It means you will not get as much benefit (weight loss) for the calories you cut out of your "normal" diet. It is the natural reaction of the body, to resist the change that is being forced upon it." (Linden)


So what does this mean? It means that starvation mode is relative to the amount of calories being consumed. Instead of your body "burning more muscle" or "storing every last nutrient and calorie", it just means that your body begins to burn less calories a day in order to survive. Think about it this way: If your car was running out of gas, you wouldn't pour motor oil into the tank, you would slow your RPM and hope/pray for a gas station. Simply put, if your body is only getting 500 calories a day, then your bodies BMR is going to drop, probably by 500-700 calories easily.

Again, this is simply based on what I have read, and what I think I know. This is a great, high fire discussion on the topic, with several scientific articles:

http://caloriecount.about.com/starvation-mode-myth-thread-see-evidence-ft46163


I have to agree with the original poster, starvation mode seemes to be a phrase designed for fear-mongering. It seems the more reasonable or accurate definition would be " significant reduction in calories = significant reduction in BMR. I'm an English major specializing in Rhetoric, so from a semi-professional standpoint, I can say that starvation mode is definatly a rhetorical device, despite and regardless of its accuracy.


So, I guess to answer a lot of people questions.... do I eat too little? Probably. Do I need to eat more? I'd love to, eventually, I probably will." Am I going to feel terrible or stop losing weight because I eat too few calories or miss a meal every once in awhile? Maybe, but mathematics don't leave room for error. In this case, its mathematical.

But more importantly, how do I feel eating such controlled portions? Well, I feel great. I have tons of energy, and I can already see/feel the difference in my chest and arms. The muscle is growing, already I've had to increase the weights on almost all my workouts. As far as I'm concerned, the way I do things works, and the signs of it working are evident.

O.K. Well instead of running tonight I went to the gym and played 2 hours of pick up basketball. I thought I was going to die, it was MUCH more challenging than my run. I think if I can, I'll try to do that from now on, but if not I can always do my route outside. Aaand, I'm gonna try and stop counting calories, so I'll stop posting what I eat every day. Lets see how that goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basically you're going to lose some weight...Maybe 20 pounds, maybe 30..And after some point, you're going to platue. You're body wont lose anymore weight cause frankly, you can't cut down any more calories. You could try changing your work out a bit, but will that really help? And from the little you've said about yourself, you seem like the type to freak if you don't hit that huge goal you've set for yourself. So you'll freak out, go two days without eating anything to try to shock your body out of it, and then end up saying 'f it' and binging. But good luck with that!

Action Jackson said...

Well I don't really appreciate your cowardice, but thanks anyways? I mean, I understand what your saying, my problem is, where is the scientific evidence to support your assumed claims? I brought up the topic because I'm sure there is someone out there that knows more than I do, but I want some evidence, otherwise I see no reason to change the way I personally do things if 1. I'm never hungry, and 2. its working

Don't comment here with objectivity just to be rude or make assumptions based on what you think is right. And if you do, don't hide.

Tony said...

Hey dude. The forums on www.thedailyplate.com is a great resource for looking into what you are talking about. Read some of the stickies on the general diet threads. There are also plenty of websites out there via google search that can help you.

You are really eating way too little. I hope you reconsider only eating that much a day. What will happen to your body is eventually like you said, you will hit starvation mode and your body will try to hold on to as much fat as possible. What you will be losing is muscle weight, which is not what you want to do. Your BMR will slow down to a snails pace and you will be able to eat less and less a day. It's not healthy and you will not feel healthy this way. Just trying to be honest here man.

Best wishes.

Action Jackson said...

Thanks Tony, that's a great site. Yeah I need to eat more, I know this. I think it would be a good time to say that what I post isn't all that I eat, its just the main meals. I snack around on things like peanuts and vegetables, I just don't record it. I try to eat small amounts over a long period of time throughout the day. I could probably use 300-400 more though in any case, get me up to something like 1900-2000. I feel like that would be ideal.

Anonymous said...

Never being hungry is a bad sign. You *should* be hungry at times, like when you wake up, or complete a run or even just around dinner time.

It seems that with your running and weightlifting, you're a very, very active person. That puts your maintenance calorie requirements at over 3000kcal. It seems like you're eating less at some days than you burn during an average run!

From your story, it seems likely that you got your fat from binging on fast food at very high calories. It seems like you will be fine if you stick to a reasonable intake. Why not go for the lifestyle change and restrict yourself to healthy, unprocessed foods, learn/take the time to cook instead of eating those tv dinners? If you stuck to whole, unprocessed foods you would be able to eat a fair amount without fearing a binge.

Nutritionist Leigh Peele has a very nice article about eating more here.