Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 3: Hilton Head Challenge, Complete

Ah, another day here in South Carolina, and another victory for me. Today was great, though physically and mentally the most demanding thus far. The fatass inside of me tried to escape, but I prevailed. Woke up at about 6 this morning, and went deep sea fishing with the whole family and Captain Jim (whom we've gone out with every year). It was a great run... I of course caught the largest creature of the deep, a 6 foot wide, 6 foot long stingray. Let me tell you, besides the tuna I caught back when I was thirteen, this monster gave me the hardest fight of my life. We had to pull up the anchor and trail the fish because it pulled off about 500 feet of line on top of what was already out, and the coolest thing about that is there is nothing you can do while the fish is running. It took me about 25 minutes to reel the son-of-a-bitch in, and but I finally did it. Man, after doing chest and abs last night, my upper body was on fire at the end of that struggle. As soon as I find a chord for my camera, I'll post a picture sometime in the near future. It was too large (and dangerous) to fully bring into the boat, so unfortunately I did not get to hold it while a picture was taken, but hey, we got it about halfway out of the water, and some pretty nice pics. My dad came in second with a 4 foot blacktip shark, weighing in somewhere around 60-70 pounds, but we had to throw it back for legal reasons. But, everyone in my family did catch something, so it was a good morning to say the least. I was exhausted when we got back to the condo, so I took about a 4 hour nap and consequently missed lunch, although I did have two eggs and some cheese for breakfast. After I woke up, I headed down to the basketball court and got about 25 minutes of shooting hoops in, again just enough to work up a sweat before dinner, to help my metabolism bypass the fat storage. We went to the salty dog cafe, and I put our name in while at the same time flirting with the incredibly cute hostess. She said it would probably take two and a half hours, but due to my wit and ridiculous charm, we were seated within 20 minutes. The weight loss and lifting might have helped as well :)

So for dinner, I sported the chef's special, a daily catch of grilled Grouper, brown rice, and mixed vegetables. I ate half of everything on my plate, and opted to just leave the rest as I have plenty of food here at home. I think that will be the new rule: only eat half of what they bring me at restaurants. It seems to be working pretty well, and hit helkps me practice protion control. Anyways, we came home afterward and I once again headed out to the gym, and tonight was mentally the toughest. It was just one of those night when I really didn't want to do anything. I ran for 20 minutes, roughly 2 miles, and then did a full leg workout. It took about a hour and a half to finish everything, but it seemed like 3. But, I got everything done, which is important. I hope to have a little soreness in my legs tomorrow, I hate working out and then feeling fine the next day.... I mostly had to use machines for my routine tonight as they do no have a barbell, and I'm worried it won't have benefited me as much. Only time will tell. I had another great day, positives on both the nutrition and working out, so I can't complain. Tomorrow is going to be tough, I've got shoulders, abs, and cardio.... meaning it will probably be the longest night thus far. But, I'm going to do it. Like I said, I will not fail. Hope everyone had a great day today, and good luck with the days to come!





(10 hours later) P.S

I just wanted to say, I'm pretty pissed off with my genetics. I'm like super tall, and all my weight sits on my stomach. Like.... ALL of it. A little bit on my chin, but that's mostly gone now. I mean, I read a lot of blogs and I see a lot of pictures... and its really frustrating to see pople who looked SO much better physically when they weighed the same as I do now. I have a decent amount of muscle mass and I do a good amount of cardio, and I eat right, but all my fat just sits there. I remember 3 years ago when I weighed 190, I STILL had fat sitting on my love handles. It just pisses me of that I got these crap genetics. I mean, I'm probably he only 6'4 person who could weigh 190 and still have fat hanging off me nearly shoulder width apart. I don't know what I can do to fix this problem... because most people I see don't have it at my weight currently, let alone 190-185 (my eventual goal). Anyways, when I get home and have the opportunity to show you the last two weeks of progress, you'll see what I'm talking about. I have slimmed down, but nowhere near looking like I want to. I know you can't core train fat away in certain areas, basically the only thing I can do is keep up the nutrition and work my abs like crazy. I'm just frustrated... I know this is only my tenth offical day and I should be proud, (which I am), but long term seems like such a distant venture. 300 Days from now? 600? Man, even a month seems eons away. Maybe its because I'm on vacation, everything moves slower out here, but just worke up in a frustrated mood. I'll feel better after my insanely long workout tonight, hopefully.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Look at you being all smooth. When I try to flirt into a table, I actually have to wait even longer :P

Way to go on the fish and all the workin' out. I used to have to go fishing with my Dad every Sunday afternoon, but all I ever caught was a sunburn. Just once I wanna reel in a prizewinner. Dare to dream, right?

South Beach Steve said...

It sounds like an awesome fishing trip. I am not much into fishing, but I think I could do that. BTW, I also like your idea of eating only half of what they bring at restaurants. That would go against every grain in my body, but it is something I need to try.