Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 5: Hilton Head Challenge, Complete.

Ah sorry for the late post. Yesterday was another great day for me nutrition wise, and decent exercise wise as well. The day started off with a trip to the beach, where I laid out, trying to even up my other half, for about an hour. I played Boche Ball with the rent's, and then we went to the bar for some broiled shrimp buckets. I had six largish shrimp, with cocktail sauce, and called this lunch. At around 3, I came home and chiled for awhile, which eventually turned into a nap. For some reason I just had no energy yesterday, probably a combination of sun and not getting quite enough calories. I woke up around &:30 and headed over to they gym, and my workout was ok. I got 20 minutes of ellpitical at about 2 miles, and then proceeded to do arms. At the time, I felt like I was working my arms pretty hard, but today there isn't too much of a burn. I know the weight was heavy enough because by the 4th set of each exercise, I was struggling. TOday I woke up and there dosen't seem to be much muscle soreness, so I don't know what's up. Anyways, I came home and fixed myself a chicken breast with a genrous side of mixed veggies, which was stupendous. And then I couldn't fall asleep for like 4 hours, despite my lack of energy. It was a prety downtime kinda day, and I really didn't have any energy for the entire duration, but today I am feelig much better. (Went Kyacking for two hours this morning, it was stupendous and invigorating.) However, I would like to adress something in this post that I have discovered about myself, something I find to be very disturbing and frustrating.

I'm the "all or nothing type", and I like things done fast. I'm visula, I want to see the results, I want to know that what I'm doing is the right thing. Without having taken daily pictures, there is no telling whether or not I would be able to keep up my pace of progress. It's just, I know in the back of my head, this isn't a one week, two week, on month, 6 month or even yearly venture... its a lifestyle change. Sure, I have harder days than others, but my life is good, I'm improving, but my desire to see these "instant results" is monopolizing my thought process. When I look in the mirror, sure I see little changes here and there, but it feels like for all the effort I put in, I should be on the cover of a bodybuilding magazine. I know it's ridiculous to even have those thoughts because I know that is not how things work in this department. But, something inside of me is gets furious about it, and then I start to feel my motivations slip away. I have to constantly remind myself of the reality in this situation, and it helps me move forward, but I'm so afraid of one day just completely snapping because of the "what's the point" attitude. It's. Just. GAH! I wish I was a more patient person, I wish I could eliminate those thoughts from my mind. I wish I could focus more on my past progress, and use that as a driving tool. I know most people go through this thought process, especially in the beginning. I just wish it wasn't a DAILY thing. It's exhausting. So yeah, that's my rant. Time to go make myself that lunch, Kyaking kicked my arse this morning. Good luck to everyone today!

1 comment:

South Beach Steve said...

I know what you mean about wanting instantaneous gratification. I think we live in a world that has created this monster we are. Everything is so instant, we get frustrated waiting on anything. That is part of the reason that I track all my measurements and my weight. It makes it nice to see at least some things going in the right direction. Just keep at it. You ARE doing the right thing, and it WILL pay off!